The Windows clipboard is a tool that saves the most recent versions of text you have copied. It’s a very useful tool, especially since it can save time when writing up documents or emails by allowing you to copy something once and then paste it multiple times. However, there may be times when you need to clear the clipboard to make room for new text, whether you’re using it yourself or you have another program that’s using it. Here’s how to clear it in Windows 10, 8, or 7.
One of the great things about computers is they can make our lives easier, but one of the things we all hate is when they cause us headaches. In this article, we are going to look at a problem most of us have had, and that is how to clear the clipboard in Windows 10, 8, 7. So, if you find yourself in need of this information, read on to find the solution. The first thing you need to do is open the Start Menu and type in Clipboard, and then press Enter. When you do this you should see a section at the top of the screen that has a heading Clipboard. Click on this and you should now see another menu on the screen. There are two options
For the Windows 10 operating system, there are apps that also clean up the clipboard and all you have to do is open a simple executable file. However, in the guide published below, you will see first-hand how to use your operating system without installing another special app and cleaning up the Windows 10 clipboard.
How do I clear the clipboard history in Windows 10?
- Create a shortcut
- Quick solutions to clear the clipboard history
- Turn on your Windows 10 device.
- From the Windows home screen, left-click or click on the desktop icon.
- Right-click on an empty space on your Windows 10 desktop.
- In the menu that appears, click on New with the left mouse button.
- If you left-click New, a new menu will open in which you must again left-click the Link function.
- The Create shortcut window opens.
- In the white box under Enter Item Location, enter the following text:
cmd /c echo off | clip
- After you have written the above text, you must left-click on the Next button, which is located in the lower right corner of the window.
- After clicking Next, a new window will open.
- In the white box below the Enter the name of this shortcut field, you must enter a name for the shortcut you want to create.
Message: For example, you can call it Erase Clipboard in Windows.
- Left-click the Done button at the bottom right of the window.
- You can now close all open windows and find the icon you created on the desktop.
- Double-click (with the left mouse button) on the desktop icon to clear the clipboard in Windows 10.
- If the clipboard cleanup icon in Windows 10 doesn’t work right away, don’t be alarmed. You will need to restart Windows, return to the desktop as in the steps above, and double-click (left-click) again on the shortcut you created.
If you are still worried about sensitive data stored on Windows clipboard, here are some more tips and tricks for clearing clipboard history:
- Take a new screenshot, replacing the confidential information with random images.
- Restart the computer – yes, restart the computer to clear the clipboard history.
- Clear the Windows clipboard on the command line by running this command as administrator: cmd.exe /c cd 2>%UserProfile%empty.txt & clip < %UserProfile%empty.txt
- Use ClipTTL. More information about this tool can be found in this post.
Another thing we recommend is to download and install a special clipboard manager. These tools are very useful and easy to use for any user.
We highly recommend Comfort Clipboard Pro. This tool can be easily cleaned up, and you can also categorize the clipped content so you can access it systematically.
Yeah, it’s that simple. You now have your own clipboard cleanup feature in Windows 10 without having to install a new app and maybe even pay for it.
If you are experiencing other clipboard related issues in Windows 10, check out this comprehensive guide to solve them easily.
If you have any questions about this article, please use the comments section below and we will try to answer you as soon as possible.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I empty my clipboard in Windows 10?
Clipboard managers are a convenient way to keep track of all your copied materials. They also let you search through your clipboard contents and even post your clipboard contents on your social network sites. Windows 10 has a built-in clipboard manager that you can use to clear your clipboard. However, sometimes you may need to clear your clipboard contents. For example, you may be copying and pasting several items from a website, and want to clear out the contents of your clipboard before copying and pasting another item. The Windows 10 Clipboard is a simple feature that remembers everything you copy. That way, you can paste it all back in one go — but have you ever wondered if you can clear the clipboard in Windows 10?
How do I empty my clipboard in Windows 7?
Windows 7 automatically saves everything you copy to the clipboard. If you copy more than one thing to your clipboard, you can paste the second item by pressing [Ctrl]-V, but if you want to clear the clipboard, you have to use a special keyboard sequence to do so. To clear your clipboard, press [Ctrl]-[Shift]-V on your keyboard, and everything you’ve copied over the past few hours will go away. There are many ways to clear your clipboard in Windows 7, many of which we will cover later on. However, the simplest and most convenient way to empty your clipboard is to simply press the Windows key on your keyboard and the period key (.). This key combination will instantly empty your clipboard, without needing to open any menus or right click on anything.
How do you clear your clipboard in Windows 8?
If you’ve used a computer running Microsoft Windows in the last 15 years, you’ve probably used the “copy” and “paste” commands. After all, you can’t very well run a computer operating system without a way to move information from place to place. The “copy” command takes information, such as a document or image from a website, and saves it to your computer’s clipboard. The “paste” command is then used to add the copied information to your current document. Have you ever copied one or more text and then opened another application then pasted it there. You may have noticed that the data from your clipboard still exists. If you do not clear your clipboard you may end up copying data that you did not want. Clearing your clipboard in Windows 8 is easy, but takes a few steps to do it. Clearing your clipboard is a task that is common to always do but is easy to forget. The clipboard is the part of the memory that you can use to copy data from one program to another. The data that you copy is stored there until you cut or copy something else there.
Feedback,how to clear clipboard windows 7how to clear clipboard windows 10cmd /c echo off clip windows 10clipbrd.exe windows 7clipboard history windows 7cmd /c echo off clip access denied,People also search for,Privacy settings,How Search works,how to clear clipboard windows 7,where is the clipboard on my computer windows 10,how to clear clipboard windows 10,cmd /c echo off clip windows 10,clipbrd.exe windows 7,clipboard history windows 7,cmd /c echo off clip access denied,how to access clipboard windows 8